FacebookTwitterPinterestYouTubeGoogle PlusInstagram

To learn more about the history of Benson, living and working here, visiting our attractions and attending festivals, or if you are relocating to our city, check all the following resources provided.

Town of Benson circa 1910The Town of Benson derives its name from Alfred Monroe “Mim” Benson, a farmer who purchased a 402-acre tract of land in 1874 along the Smithfield-Fayetteville Road.

Benson owes its existence to the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad which was surveyed to pass through the town’s present location in 1886.  The town soon became an important commercial center  for families farming in the areas around Elevation, Bentonville, Mingo Swamp, McGee’s Crossroads, Blackman’s Crossroads and Meadow.

Incorporation

On March 7, 1887 the North Carolina General Assembly voted on the petition for the incorporation of Benson.  The charter detailed procedures for government, elections and boundaries and was filed in the county courthouse April 16, 1889.  This area would no longer be referred to as “that little settlement east of Mingo” or  “that community on Mim Benson’s land,” but would be called Benson.

Under the provisions of the charter, the railroad agent here was chosen to be mayor.  The first mayor was Eli Cavenaugh, and his board of commissioners included Stephen H. O’Neal, David H. Wallace and Chris C. Ryals.   During the 1880s, A. M. Benson sold off lots around the new railroad station, and local farmers and businessmen quickly sought out opportunities to do business in Benson. By 1895, the population of Benson was 200.

Johnston County was created from Craven County on June 28, 1746, and named in honor of Gabriel Johnston, North Carolina’s colonial governor at the time. The following counties were subsequently derived from all or part of original Johnston: Orange, now Durham (1752); Dobbs, later divided into Wayne, Greene, Lenior (1758); Wake (1771); and Wilson (1855).Ranking 10th in size among North Carolina’s 100 counties, Johnston’s land area is about 792 square miles. As the fastest growing county in the state, Johnston’s population is 165,000.

Johnston figured prominently in the early affairs of North Carolina during its transition from colony to state. Much groundwork was laid for the colony’s role in the American Revolution when the 13-member Provincial Council held its first two sessions in 1755 at Johnston Court House (chartered as Smithfield in 1777). Smithfield was also the site of the General Assembly’s 1779 session. Between 1779 and 1788, Johnston’s county seat was several times a contender for the location of the state capitol.

In the antibellum times of the 1840's, the most vociferous advocates of inland waterway transportation were reluctant to yield their enthusiasm to the burgeoning railroad industry, but popular interest in rails overshadowed interest in river transportation during the two decades immediately preceding the Civil War. The first railroad built across Johnston County - the 223-mile state-controlled North Carolina Railroad from Goldsboro to Charlotte (via Raleigh and Greensboro) - was completed in 1856. It bypassed Smithfield some four miles to the north, following a beeline between Goldsboro and Raleigh. Smithfield passengers boarded the train at a station originally called "Smithfield Depot," located just west of what is now Selma, where Buffalo Road crosses the present-day Southern Railway. The depot later became known as "Mitchener's Station."

Smithfield travelers and merchants were hardly pleased by the location of the North Carolina Railroad, since Smithfield Depot was almost an hour's drive from the heart of Smithfield by wagon or hack. Tradition, still persistent in the latter half of the twentieth century, has asserted that Smithfield residents opposed locating the railroad through the town, that they did not want noisy trains disturbing their peace nor steam engines polluting their clean air with smoke. Succeeding generations have been told that a "Smithfield man" voted against locating the railroad through Smithfield, and that the town lost the railroad "by one vote." Two Johnston County members of the Legislature did vote against the legislation that incorporated the North Carolina Railroad in 1849, and a single vote ultimately decided whether the railroad was to be approved. But legislative records do not support the legend preserved by spoken words.

 

235-A East Market Street
Smithfield, North Carolina 27577

tel 919.989.8687  |  fax 919.989.6295
toll free 1.800.441.7829

 

Check out what other travelers say about
Johnston County, North Carolina on TripAdvisor.
TripAdvisor

Go to top